Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mary Belle

While cleaning out some picture drawers I found some pictures of my mother.Please allow me to share this picture and a few thoughts that flooded back through my mind. She was a wonderful mother, very strict in every way from a sparkling house, caring for her children and was a great cook. She could be overbearing at times also. I realize now just how obsessive compulsive and anal she was about a lot of things. It was simply 'her way or the highway'. She ran a very structured household. She was always well kept. Her hair in place, make up, nails done, and I thought she was so pretty. I remember the blouse she is wearing in the picture. It was a coffee color. She wore red lipstick and kept her hair up in curls most of her life. She loved to talk on the telephone with her girlfriends and I would stay close so I could listen to the laughter in the conversations. She had Lupus and passed away away in 1997. Now every day I find myself with so many of her same traits and habits. There is a saying that states , 'You are your mother's daughter'.I resolve that I am, except being the great cook. And I'm fine with that!

4 comments:

  1. Well how lovely. Her hair was always perfect and even wore her diamonds with her nightgown. And always in the kitchen. I saw something recently that reminded me of her. That would be the cat clock on the wall above the telephone. Eyes and tail always moving. Love you Mary Belle.......julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three generations of women in your family resemble each other! Very beautiful. There's something to be said for that kind of OCD/perfectionism. Your life works; you're structured; you feel good about yourself. Good to remember to keep your friendships so you can connect. Thought-provoking story. I'm not big on cooking either, Shelia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning from Canada!! Just saw your sweet note and wanted to say hi....funny,my Moms been gone now for 17 years and I often find myself thinking like she must have,whenever she saw someone down on their luck she would say"Ah but for the grace of God there goes you or I"....my kids now know that saying of by heart!!! Do hope you will be back often,all the best,Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo of your mother, she looks so pretty and neat. She sounds a little bit like my mother with the strictness etc.

    ReplyDelete